Anderson County House Village was established in 1828. That same year, a group of Methodist men and women organized a church, and two years later built the first church of any kind in the village. It was built on a half-acre lot on what is now the corner of West Benson and South Murray Avenue in Anderson, SC. The church was a small, rough log structure without windows or means of lighting or heating, built as a labor of love by one of the members, Mr. Hoyt Whitaker, Anderson’s first carpenter. It remained on the original site for twenty-eight years.
The present site on the corner of South McDuffie and East River Street was purchased some time later and in 1858 a simple white frame building was erected as the second church, which served until 1888.
The first bricks were laid October 5, 1886 and a brick building was erected as the third church and it was dedicated November 11, 1888. In 1807 the name St. John’s was adopted. During 1928, St. John’s celebrated its hundredth anniversary, and the new education building opened. The fourth, and current church sanctuary constructed with brick walls was completed in 1912.
Expansions on social and recreational facilities started in 1953, which took seven years and included air-conditioning in the sanctuary, construction of the fellowship hall, and improved classrooms.
St. John’s Weekday Kindergarten and Playschool opened September 2, 1963. This center has steadily grown and a Day Care service was added. The Strong-Hold (Anderson Free Clinic) was dedicated January 26, 1969.
In 1979, a modern, spacious and well-equipped Family Activities Center was constructed on additional property bounded by John, Manning and Market streets. It included a full size gymnasium with bleacher seating, mezzanine floor for table games, youth lounge, classroom, small kitchen and a director’s office.
During the Church Conference on June 4, 2000, Option 1 was selected for the first phase of the Heritage Project. As of December 19, 2002, construction is now complete for this first phase which includes the following items:
Parking and Playground Development; Fire Protection System; Electrical System Upgrade; Emergency Exit Lighting; Extra Wing Addition and Renovation; Sanctuary Renovations.
St. John’s has steadily built upon her early beginnings, each generation contributing to growth in membership and service in Christ’s name. The church has programs which nurture the membership, provide services to the community, and make a witness to God’s love both locally and in other parts of the world. The congregation continues to pursue the high calling of Christ, receiving new visions of ministry and pursuing new avenues of service.
Sunday School - 9:30AM
Worship - 10:30AM Office Hours: M-F 9:00AM-12:00PM & 1:00-5:00PM
515 South McDuffie Street
Anderson, SC 29624