Job Description for Minister of Discipleship
Organization: St. John’s United Methodist Church
Contact: Heather James
Discipleship Ministries Job Description
Coordinate the planning and implementation of learning and serving experiences for the congregation so that people at every stage of faith grow in their understanding of the gospel and become better equipped for daily living as faithful disciples of Jesus Christ.
Hours: Full Time to include evening, weekend, and holiday responsibilities.
SPIRITUAL GIFTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- This leader shows evidence of passion for learning and helping people learn and grow in faith.
- Useful skills for this position are the ability to communicate well with people of all ages; interest in a wide range of educational experiences; the ability to work with teachers, small-group leaders, facilitators, and others involved in Christian discipleship; skills for researching educational issues and developing ministries and events; spiritual and emotional maturity.
- Team-oriented work ethic that is dependable and conscientious with the initiative to plan, implement, and complete all required responsibilities with little supervision in a timely and organized manner.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Develop, coordinate, and implement plans for Christian formation, missions, fellowship, and evangelism in church-wide, and age-level ministries. Groups may include the Sunday school, weekday groups, off-site groups, and study groups that are designed to support the nurture and formation of Christian disciples. Teach or lead groups when appropriate.
- Identify, equip, and support people to serve as ministry team leaders, small group and Sunday School facilitators and teachers.
- Ongoing evaluation to explore new ministry opportunities that address the goals of the congregation and address unmet needs.
- Provide opportunities for community engagement, assimilation of newcomers, and participation of active and inactive members. Assist individuals in using spiritual gifts within the congregation, throughout daily life, and in ministry to the world.
- Provide oversight of Children’s and Youth Ministers.
- Administer, monitor, and insure adherence of the St. John’s Safe Sanctuary Policy.
- Provide discipleship guidance for the director, staff, children, and Board of the St. John’s Child Development Center. Provide ongoing means for CDC families to grow in faith and become involved in the life of the congregation.
- Be familiar with United Methodist curriculum resources, facilitate their use, and be able to recommend appropriate resources for all age levels and faith stages. Link with organizations, people, and resources in and beyond the congregation that promote Christian discipleship in the Wesleyan tradition.
- Partner with and support the Senior Minister in the performance of worship or other ministries as requested.
Director of Children’s Ministries
Rev. Herb Franklin
Dr. Bob Heritage
Director of Music
Director of Children’s Choir